Evora GT4, Chinese Driving Academy & T130

Lotus or "insert car brand here" general motoring chat.
Banter in subsection
ad S
Car Type: Exige 350 Sport
Car Colour: Signature Orange
Mods: 2bular

Re: Evora GT4, Chinese Driving Academy & T130

Post by ad S » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 11:33 pm

The T130 will be called the Lotus Evija (“Ee-vi-ya”- meaning "the first in existence"). Launching in London on 16 July 2019.

KD88
Club Member

Post by KD88 » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 11:43 am

Ricardo wrote:
Wed 17 Apr, 2019 7:00 pm
Stonefly wrote:
Wed 17 Apr, 2019 7:36 am
They have to try to do something different to break into the already overcrowded "hypercar market" but for me, electric isn't it.
It's too soon to start that game as I don't think the internal combustion engine has had its final hurrah yet, couple that with heavy batteries and you're straying far from the Lotus ethos (next model?) of "Light is Right".

If I was in the market for a million plus exclusive automobile I wouldn't be going for a heavy all electric Lotus... I'd possibly even look to the past and get an old F1 car, after all you can't use a hypercar fully on the road so why not go all in on track, Type 72 anyone?
Agree if i were currently in the market for a million pound hypercar I would want something with many cylinders and making a proper noise rather than having to go 'brum' myself - just for now... I appreciate the future will be this.... but just for now...

Ricardo
Admin
Car Type: Elise S2 Type 49
Car Colour: R-W-F
Mods: BOC!

Post by Ricardo » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 3:23 pm

ad S wrote:
Wed 03 Jul, 2019 11:33 pm
The T130 will be called the Lotus Evija (“Ee-vi-ya”- meaning "the first in existence"). Launching in London on 16 July 2019.
Just seen this on a facebook post...very clever.... look at this through a mirror :fab :ugeek:

ad S

Post by ad S » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 12:04 pm

Having had a few days to look at the Evija, personally I think Lotus have produced something which is quite remarkable if the figures they are claiming are correct.

2000PS
1700Nm of torque
1600kg for an all electric hypercar
0-60mph less than 3s
0-186mph less than 9s
200mph+

From the front the car is stunning especially with the rear spoiler raised

The rear initially didnt appeal to me, however, after looking at the reasons behind the design (venturi effect) the sculpting and design is growing on me and lets face it there isn't another car on the market like it. Ford GT uses similar principles but isn't as good looking.

The tech that has gone into it to be able to charge the batteries in 20 mins and give a 250 mile (claimed) range via Williams is incredible, just a shame the batteries weigh so much.

All in all I think lotus have produced a very credible hypercar, and lets face it that's what it is, a car for the elite who have plenty of money (£1.7+ taxes) to be able to spend on toys. Hopefully elements of the design and technology will filter down to the next generation of "normal" lotus cars.

Chapmans idealology of lightness unfortunately doesn't look good for the future with the push towards electric vehicles but currently Lotus is leading the way as they have always done in drivers cars.

hauxleablaze
Club Member
Car Type: Exige S
Car Colour: Motorsport Black

Post by hauxleablaze » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 2:34 pm

Agreed... also think there will be a few stonechips hitting the bodywork via the huge vents behind the front wheels. Would matter to the likes of us (who can’t afford one) but those that can will have a weekly respray 😜

ad S

Post by ad S » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 3:30 pm

hauxleablaze wrote:
Fri 19 Jul, 2019 2:34 pm
Agreed... also think there will be a few stonechips hitting the bodywork via the huge vents behind the front wheels. Would matter to the likes of us (who can’t afford one) but those that can will have a weekly respray 😜
PPF and ceramic coating ;)

Mcgee9t2
Club Member
Car Type: Lotus elise s2 111s
Car Colour: Colbalt Blue

Post by Mcgee9t2 » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 8:56 am

I think the car and the technology is brilliant.
The weight is the opposite of the normal lotus ethos, but with ev that would always be the case.

So when you upgrading Adrian?

ad S

Post by ad S » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 12:54 pm

Mcgee9t2 wrote:
Sat 20 Jul, 2019 8:56 am
I think the car and the technology is brilliant.
The weight is the opposite of the normal lotus ethos, but with ev that would always be the case.

So when you upgrading Adrian?
{lolz}

Ricardo
Admin
Car Type: Elise S2 Type 49
Car Colour: R-W-F
Mods: BOC!

Post by Ricardo » Sat 20 Jul, 2019 9:11 pm

Like the front and sides but the rear is an abomination like something from batman in the 70s....

Tech if it happens that way is amazing

However £1.7mill who’s kidding who here?

Lotus have generally been reasonably priced, apart from the new models which are imo ridiculous and should I be in the lucky position to want to spend £100k on a sports car I’d be looking at a different brand...

For me Lotus was supposed to be lightweight cars with superlative handling cobbled together in a chicken shed... however I suppose this ev hypercar fits into the old F1 stable where their excellence shone when analysing the rule book and metaphorically chucking it out the window...

I’m sure it will work... in the meantime they need some new models as the evora is the newest and it’s been here a decade... but with geely declaring a profit warning who knowa

SCTony
Club Supporter
Car Type: Elise
Car Colour: Yellow

Post by SCTony » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 6:47 am

Agreed. Well said.

Brilliant tech car! But.

However, if they take that tech and use it in the next elise/ exige.. and no silly prices... I'm in!

Affordable no thrills drivers cars is how I see Lotus....